DePuy ASR Hip Replacement

DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Recall


If you or someone you know suffered unusual pain or underwent revision surgery within just a few years of having a total hip replacement, the problem may be the result of implantation of a DePuy ASR metal on metal hip replacement.

Johnson & Johnson, the parent company of DePuy, introduced a line of metal on metal, so-called because both the ball and the socket of the artificial joint are made of metal, as opposed to the more typical metal or ceramic ball and polyethelene joint liner. Following extensive studies which have shown that as many as 13% of these implants are failing and requiring revision within just a few years, DePuy issued a recall.

What Hip Replacement Implants Were Recalled?

DePuy has recalled the following hip replacement implants:

  • ASR XL Acetabluar System—on the market since 2004 and sold worldwide
  • ASR Hip Resurfacing System—on the market since 2003 and sold outside the U.S.

How Do I Know if My Hip Was Recalled?

DePuy has notified your surgeon. By now, your surgeon’s office should have contacted you. If you suspect that you have a DePuy ASR XL implanted since 2004, then you should contact your surgeon to find out for sure. Also, an inventory control sticker from the implant should be in your hospital chart for the surgery.

What are the Common Problems Patients are Reporting?

Common complaints are component loosening, misalignment, dislocation, infection, loss of muscle mass, and unexplained hip, thigh or groin pain.

What Should I Do If I Have a Recalled Hip?

You should contact an experienced medical malpractice and medical product liability attorney. Todd N. Hendrickson has years of experience in evaluating orthopedic injury cases. It is important that any attorney you retain be able to fully evaluate the original implant surgery technique, as DePuy may attempt to blame the surgeon for improper implantation.

If you have suspect that you have a recalled DePuy ASR hip implant, call the office of Todd N. Hendrickson at 314-721-8833, or click on this link to ask for a consulation.